Monday, October 24, 2011

What's Hot and What's Not in Fall Fashion?


InStyle magazine says leather dresses are among fall's must haves. I
 found leather skirts in three lengths and a leather vest all at my local thrift store. (The blue tag $8.98!)

Hot is shopping in your closet. Not is spending department-store prices. Update your wardrobe by adding mod accessories and on-trend items in a Zoe kind of way.

Check out popular women's magazines. Fall fashion issues of faves like InStyle, Glamour, Essence, Elle and Vogue are on newsstands now.

Visit your local library, fashion websites online, or as a last resort, buy a copy of your favorite magazine. Then go through your wardrobe to see what pieces you have that mirror the look you're trying to create.

Fashion wisdom says don't skimp on wardrobe basics. I say find those basics on a budget.

I frequent local thrift shops and have found to-die-for fashion forward leather skirts and jackets. I landed a trench coat and sweaters in Fall 2011 fashion color trends. A couple of Bloomingdale's cashmere scarves and a camel-hair coat that I'll be rocking after tricking out the buttons round out my warm weather fare. 

For most of the items, I'll be using a $5 Dryel do-it-myself dry cleaning kit.There's a $2.25 Dry Cleaner I frequent as a last resort.

And let's not forget shoes. Nothing says fall like boots and I added five pair during the summer months-- each less than $7 a pair. Check them out:

Boot Up for Fall

I'll admit, thrift shopping is an acquired taste.  It takes patience. It's relaxing for me. I actually have a small posse of ladies I meet up with on Wednesdays, as that's the day the Salvation Army* in my city discounts all clothing 50 percent. (*Visit the link for a store locator.)

You'll be amazed at the brand new and gently worn fab items you'll find there.

Shopping at thrift stores can stretch your wardrobe budget, freeing up extra dollars for savings, investing and your rainy day fund.

$$

No comments:

Post a Comment