Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Crock Pots Rock: Make Meals for Just $.47 Cents Per Serving


I've always had more time than money. Spending it in a kitchen isn't how I'd like to use it though.

My crock pot rocks! Having one enables me to prepare nutritious meals that taste good, don't break the bank and allow me to plan for overs in one fell swoop.
This meal is one of my faves. I simply add the ingredients in the morning and go about my  day. There's nothing like knowing dinner's ready the minute I get home.

Plus there is always enough to freeze for another time or have for lunch the next day.

 
Lima Bean Stew with Smoked Pork/Turkey

This recipe makes about six one-cup servings at an average cost of  $.47 cents.

Ingredients:

16-oz bag dry baby Lima Beans $.99
1 smoked pork neck bone            .40  (They were $1.39 pound yesterday)
1 small onion                                .25
1 stalk celery with leaves             .16
2 Bay leaves                               
4 cups chicken broth or water     1.00 
                                                 
                                                  $2.80 for 6 servings = .47 per serving

Optional:

Serve with rice and corn muffins. I keep a few boxes of canned muffin mix on hand. To zhush it up I add a small can of creamed corn and Greek yogurt. Other additions that wow a plain box of corn muffin mix are cheese, jalapeno peppers and sour cream.



No comments:

Post a Comment